Feed insect eater diet - Supplement diet with mealworms, water-soaked currents or raisins, bits of non-citrus fruits, and berries such as pyracantha. Also sun flower seeds, peanuts (without the shell and unsalted). Also occasional bits of chopped rat or mouse.
European starling Sturnus vulgaris
- Length: 6 inches
- Pointed bill-yellow for most of year, dark in fall
- Black plumage with green and purple iridescence
- White spots scattered about head and body-largest in fall
- Dark wings and tail
- Pointed wings
- Short tail
- Juvenile gray-brown with faint streaking below
- Very common-frequently seen in large flocks
The European Starling is somewhat similar to blackbirds, cowbirds and grackles but has a shorter tail, chunkier body, white spots on the head and body (most evident in fall), and a yellow bill (not evident in the fall).